Wednesday, September 22, 2021

A New Way of Teaching

 Greetings. I have been away from this blog so long, I was afraid that it had been deactivated. I had initially thought that I could use the pandemic time to catch up on all my medieval projects that had been put to the side, but like so many great plans, that did not happen. Now that my son has graduated from High School I have decided to take a break from theater costuming in order to focus more on my medieval arts and sciences. When I last left off I had several big projects in the planning stages and I was looking to really do some serious teaching. The projects can be easily picked up again, but I needed to reinvent myself as a teacher in order to deal with the new normal. 

I have spent the better part of the last year learning about making you tube videos for classes. I have experimented with powerpoint, voice over still pictures, and hands on demonstration. I have struggled through learning zoom and google meets. I have found a free for use video editing software and purchased a new computer, lights and microphones for better video quality. I have made a space with a neutral background in my living room where I can record. My hope is that I will now be able to regularly produce some instructional medieval videos. 

I also would like to do a fiber series where I talk about the history of a different type of fiber and show the making of a finished item with that fiber. I will start off with the fibers I talk about in the Complete Anachronist no 186 



The instructional class videos will also be offered to the Barony of Settmour Swamp You tube channel. I thought it would be good for me to have the classes all together on my channel as well. This way I can send my Crafty Nara Etsy customers there to see how I make my products. 

If you have an idea for a video you would like to see please let me know. I am happy to share any knowledge that you think is helpful. 

Peace and Love, Vivian/Heather/ Crafty Nara

No comments: