Monday, November 3, 2014

Checking in on my Olives

Well things are certainly happening. I am not sure exactly what, but things are happening. I have tried in vain to find out the actual chemistry of what is going on with some of these cures, I have the general idea of what is supposed to be happening so I guess that will have to do.

The problem is that I am not sure what they are supposed to look like, so I can't wait to get together with the others who are curing olives and see what is what.


Olives in salt water brine after 2 weeks. This is the one that most concerns me. I totally guessed at how much salt to add to the water so I am not sure if the milky water is good or bad.

Olives in honey at 2 weeks. The olives on the top are more brown than what is underneath. I have been stirring all 3 cures every few days so hopefully they will look uniform. I think the honey is starting to ferment as it certainly smells like meade.


Olives in Vinegar brine at 2 weeks. I have seen the least change in this batch. They are just about as dark as they were last week and no real change to the liquid.
 
 
 
Olives in salt water brine at week 3. Um....ewww. I am not sure what is going on. There is now some white solid matter on the surface that dissipates upon stirring. It smells faintly of yeast so I am hoping it is that and not mold.

Olives in Honey at week 3. Olives getting darker and honey getting thinner and smells a bit more like there is some fermentation of the honey going on.

Olives in Vinegar brine at week 3. This one still looks about the same. Most tempted to taste test one of these :)
 


No comments: