Friday, June 13, 2014

Day-board cooler

This is one of the most useful projects I have made for myself so far. I have food allergies that make it difficult at best to eat at events. I usually bring my own food rather than drive the feast o crat nuts trying to accommodate my food restrictions. I also try to only bring containers that don't need to be hidden at an event. I have a lovely basket man basket that we keep all our feast gear in. My husband built a wooden box that had insulation foam and a plastic bin to use as a cooler but the plastic broke and the box was way too heavy for me to bring to an event by myself. I needed a small cooler that was big enough to carry all my food and drink for myself and still be small enough for me to easily carry to an event that I was going to by myself.
I found these great little coolers that I thought would work out for me just fine. I decided that if I was going to make a fabric cover for the cooler, why not add pockets that could hold the feast gear for 1 person as well. Below is the result of dayboard cooler experiment. I really like how it turned out. They only thing I might do differently is that the cooler tends to peak out at the top, so I would either need to make the cooler bag taller or make the top wrap around more to cover the cooler better.
 

This is the cooler and all the feast gear I wanted to be able to carry with me to an event.

This is the outer fabric of the cooler cover. I have this weird addiction to quilting fabric so you see it here on batting so that I can quilt it using a simple diamond pattern.

this is the lining of the cooler cover which was also the initial pattern pieces I cut out to make sure it would cover the cooler completely.

Sewing the mug holder strap. The camouflage tape you see on my sewing machine is a guide like I use for when I am quilting. It keeps me from having to draw diagonal lines in chalk over the whole piece I am working on.  

Side panel with 2 pockets. One for silverware and another for napkins and other miscellaneous items. 

The front piece connected to the side piece.

completed mug strap with button hole.

side piece that is under bowl pocket.

I put little gathers on the bottom of the bowl pocket so that it would be wide enough to carry a bowl.

checking the fit.

pining the lining to the outer fabric at the top cover.

final pining and placement of straps.

mug strap pinned in place.

the finished cover. This is the side panel with the bowl pocket

front view.

side view with silverware pocket and mug holder.
 
back panel with plate pocket.

No comments: