Wednesday, April 29, 2015

White Embroidered Veil

Two years ago for the Settmour Swamp Baronial investiture at Mudthaw I made a silk embroidered white work shirt for our Baron. The design was sinking towers done in couching stitch on the bottom and split stitch on the top half. In between the towers were flowers done with satin stitch, split stitch and back stitch. The Baron loved it and the Baroness really loved it and asked if I would make here a veil with the same embroidery and with beadwork on the edge.
 
I did some searching and could not find any period pictures of veils with white work embroidery and beadwork on them. I love our Baroness very much and since she really wanted this type of veil I decided to go with the creative anachronist theme and do it for her. It took 2 years of working on it, off and on (mostly off) but it finally got done and she wore it 2 years later at this past Mudthaw.
 
This is what the border looks like. Although the handspun silk was really great, it was not nearly as evenly spun as commercially available silk and it made the embroidery look sloppy. Since I needed a lot more of it and I didn't want it to be too heavy on the veil I purchased some Soie d' Alger silk from hedgehog handworks

 
The veil spent a little too much time in the frame and was distorted when done. Hopefully after beading and when it is worn it won't be noticeable. I forgot that you should not leave the hoop on the work if it is going to sit for any length of time.

 
A close up of the embroidery. White on white is so hard to see!
 


No comments: