Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pattens

I have wanted a pair of Pattens for a few years now. A few years ago at Pennsic, I saw my good friend Gwynd wearing a pair and she told my her husband had made them for her. Thus it was put at the top of my "honey do list". 3 years later they are almost done :)
While at Pennsic I purchased the book "Shoes and Pattens" by Francis Grew and Margrethe de Neergaard. The book has some great information. It gives both period examples and diagrams for how they would have been made. I picked a style that did not have a lot of height on the bottom because I am sure they are going to take some getting used to. I plan on the future to do a pair of Ottoman style that have the platform on it.
As I said these are not yet done, but the design seems to be simple enough so I really hope they will work out.
 
 
The purple paper is the pattern we drew using the outline of my foot. We traced my bare foot onto a piece of paper then I used that as the basis of the design for the wood bottom.


 We then used the paper pattern to draw the outline on the wood.
 

Frederick using the jigsaw to cut out my shapes

Sanding down the edges

Sanding with the finer grit

getting the pointy toe nice and smooth.

He then cut across the line drawn where the foot usually bends. This will get a piece of leather put there so that the Patten can bend when I walk and thus not be like I have a block of wood strapped to my foot.

They look pretty good. Now for the hand work

I get the sandpaper job.

and I am so happy to finally be working on my Pattens.

So far so good.

Frederick is going to use this hand knife/saw to carve in a recess that the leather strap can be put in so that foot bed will still remain relatively flat. I won't have shoes with a hard sole on them when I am wearing the Pattens.

more carving pictures 

Getting in close to the edge with another tool.

and yet another tool.

Making sure both sides of the foot bed recess are even.

And now the sanding.

This is the pattern for the leather strap that will attach to the back of the patten and tie around my ankle

Like so.
 
Stay tuned. More to come!!!


No comments: