Monday, July 1, 2013

My first Ottoman embroidery project

Way back in 2007 at Pennsic 36 I took a 16th century Ottoman Embroidery Class. The woman who taught it was from the West Kingdom and I can't remember her name but she was really great. I took her classes several times and loved every single minute. I was immediately hooked on this form of embroidery and especially love working with all the silk floss and gold and silver metals.

I recently had to recover from a minor surgery and I really couldn't do much other than sit on the sofa and watch TV and do hand sewing and knitting. I decided to go through all my unfinished projects and get them done once and for all (see my post on the 14th century heraldic dress). This embroidery project is one of those items. She gave us a very nice piece of linen with two flowers drawn on it. We did most of one design in class and had to finish the second on our own. She said that we could then applique the designs on a sash or other item if we liked. As my garb of choice is Turkish I definitely want to get these on a sash.

Now that the embroidery is finally done, I will applique it onto a sash I already have. I found a tutorial on how to applique by hand by making a running stitch around the design and then pulling it tight before pressing it under. I haven't tried it yet but it looked easy enough (famous last words). I hope to get this done in time for Pennsic 42!

No comments: